Tuesday, August 01, 2006

My own style issues....

Well, since moving here to Fort McMurray, I have learned to love my inner slob. I am actually now really well acquainted and almost on a friendly basis with my inner slob...

The reason I got to know my inner slob:

I have to get up at 5:00 AM to catch the bus to work, I leave shortly after 5:30 AM and then I get home from work just after 6:00 PM... so, a 12 hour day (including traveling) is not conducive to being a glamazon (my other alter ego). I work in a trailer.. A BIG multi office trailer, but a trailer nonetheless. Everyone wears jeans because it is a dustbowl and you actually will stick out like an idiot if you look like you have tried at all... Plus it really isn't worth it. I am not trying to impress any cute boys on my lunch break, because there is only a dirt parking lot to go to for your lunch break.

My friends back home know me as the one with all the trendy accessories and cute "outfits", and over 60 colors of nailpolish (for my toes, I love my feet!). Here, I own and wear RUNNERS... LOL... runners... My first day at my work site, I was wearing a dressed down "outfit", but once I got on the bus, and it was covered in dirt and dust, I was all "My outfit"!!!

The other reason I am friendly with my inner slob:

Priorities shift, when you are overtired and just need to run out for something, the last thing you want to do is make an effort to get noticed.

When there is nowhere to go on the weekends when you actually do have time, and the boys are not worth a "mrowr", let alone a pounce, why bother?

I am sure there are some really nice hardworking cute boys somewhere around here, but there is such a sense of entitlement here, like I make so much money, I am EXCELLENT... well, duh, we are all here for the money and we all make pretty good coin... Money should just be a non-issue, but it's not.


I know, I know, I am totally contradicting myself. I am just trying to make sense of what the hell I am doing here, how I got here and how am I going to keep my Glamazon / Cougar standards in this one horse town...

My best friend from Calgary says that no way should I lower my standards to fit in; and I agree in principal, but in practical terms... it really seems like a lot of work for not much payback. I also thought that I was happy and enjoying doing all these nice things for myself, but here it brings me no joy, just makes me feel redundant, excessive...

Well, I dunno. Do I make friends with my inner slob? or stay acquaintances?

I will always be a Glamazon and Cougar at heart... but a sloppy Glamazon? A less then immaculate Cougar? I dunno... I think that is the contradiction.

P.S. my word for the week is: ka-boom!!! (the sound of my head exploding - memories of my first 4 weeks here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home